Meet your new favorite recipe! Firstly, these easy roasted chickpeas are crunchy and so delicious. Secondly, you can use whatever seasonings you have on hand in your pantry or just go simple with salt and pepper. Thirdly, they are healthy and packed with protein!
What are chickpeas?
Chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) are part of the legume family. Heard of hummus? Chickpeas are the base for hummus! They are super versatile and can be added easily to many different dishes as part of a healthy diet. They contain a lot of protein and as a result make a great protein substitution to anyone who is vegan or vegetarian. In addition, they contain nutrients such as calcium and magnesium. I love them because their flavor is very plain and therefore can be customized easily to fit in with just about anything!
For instance, here are some examples of how to add them to your diet:
- Add them to salads in lieu of croutons
- Eat them by themselves as a snack
- Mix them with dried fruit and nuts to make your own snack mix
- Eat them as a topping on toast
- Mix them into curry dishes with spices
- Make hummus with them
- Add them to a wrap or sandwich
- Sprinkle them on top of soups like my Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Toss some into a breakfast hash
- Add them to soups in lieu of white beans
- Add them to vegetarian chili
- Add them on top of homemade pizza
In addition, you can customize this recipe to make different flavor profiles! Here are some ideas:
- Ranch flavored
- Hot and spicy
- Garlic and herb
- Salt and vinegar
- Lemon pepper
Shopping Tips – Watch for Sodium
When shopping for chickpeas or any canned for that matter, make sure to buy salt-free or low sodium. Also, if you are having trouble locating them try looking for garbanzo beans instead as they are often marketed under this name instead but are exactly the same. If you can’t find them down the canned foods aisle try looking with the ethnic foods as they sometimes end up there.
Easy Roasted Chickpeas
- Baking Sheet
- Strainer or Colander
- 2 cans unsalted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans. If they are not salt-free, rinse extra to remove as much salt as possible. Add the beans to the baking sheet.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Sprinkle over the beans and shake around the pan to coat.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until crispy and golden brown. Check periodically to toss.
- Remove from oven. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Don’t forget to rate and comment below if you try this recipe! I’d also love to see your photos and custom creations!