These cookies are so easy and are made with very few ingredients! Plus, they are gluten free, egg free, and refined sugar free. Easily make them vegan with simple substitutions.
Made With Only 7 Ingredients
Bake these GF Almond Joy Cookies with only 7 ingredients! Most of these ingredients you probably already have in your pantry:
- Crunchy Almond Butter
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Raw Unfiltered Honey
- Real Vanilla
- Chocolate Chips
- and Unsweetened Coconut Flakes!
Here are a few little tips and tricks when it comes to picking and choosing your ingredients for this recipe.
Almond Butter – not only for this recipe but as part of a healthy diet, choose an almond butter that does not contain added salts or sugars. Always check the ingredient label before purchasing. You can also simply make your own almond butter! I have a recipe coming out soon for that but in the meanwhile check out this recipe for how to make it homemade.
Honey – raw and unfiltered is the way to go as it’s the least processed, freshest, and contains all of the good-for-you nutrients that regular processed honey is robbed of. The color of raw honey is much different, often darker or more vibrant, than traditional processed honey. Conventional honey found on store shelves is pasteurized or heated under high temperatures, killing all the good stuff.
Vanilla – choose an all natural pure vanilla, not imitation vanilla.
How to Make These Cookies Vegan and Dairy Free
So, to make these GF Almond Joy Cookies vegan, easily sub pure maple syrup for the honey and use a pure chocolate that has no added dairy. Similarly, to make them dairy-free use chocolate that does not contain any added dairy ingredients.
Do These Cookies Really Taste Like the Almond Joy Candy Bar?
Yes! They contain some of the same ingredients such as chocolate and coconut which therefore delivers the same flavor profile. These cookies also use crunchy almond butter to give the added crunch and texture found in the tradition candy bar. However, these cookies are much healthier than the candy bar and obviously will not taste identical. If you are like me and used to love Almond Joy’s mostly because of the chocolate and coconut combination then you will most definitely enjoy these cookies.
Gluten Free Almond Joy Cookies
- cookie sheet
- cooling rack
- 1 cup fine almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup raw unfiltered honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup crunchy almond butter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips recommend Lily's or Enjoy Life or a bar over 70% cacao
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, raw unfiltered honey, vanilla, crunchy almond butter. Mix well to combine. If the batter gets to thick/crumbly, add a teeny bit of warm water.
- Scoop ~2 inch balls onto prepared baking sheet. Using the back of a fork, gently press down and make two X's.
- Bake 10-15 min. Check at 10 min, they bake quick! They will be nice and golden brown when done. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals in the microwave. Alternatively, you can do this on the stove and make a double broiler by boiling water in a small plan and placing a glass bowl on top. Place the chocolate chips in the bowl and stir until melted.
- Carefully dip each of the cookies into the chocolate and then immediately sprinkle with the unsweetened coconut flakes. You may need more or less than 3/4 cup of the flakes depending on how much you want on each cookie. It's totally up to you!
- Allow the chocolate and coconut to cool/harden on the cookies for at least 1 hr before eating and storing in an airtight container.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts! Leave me a comment below.