This easy plant-based banana bread is made with whole, plant-based ingredients like oats, bananas, and pure maple syrup!
Is this banana bread really made with no eggs?
Yes! This easy plant-based banana bread is completely egg free. You can actually substitute a flax “egg” for a regular egg in many recipes! A flax egg is just flax meal or ground flax that has been mixed with water to create an egg-like mixture. Simply combine 1 tbsp flax with 3 tbsp water and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before adding. I promise you won’t miss the regular eggs in this recipe! Another thing to note is that the banana in this recipe also acts as a binding agent to hold the bread together.
Can I substitute the maple syrup with something else?
Yes, definitely. If you don’t have pure maple syrup on hand, you can sub with honey. I always recommend raw and unfiltered honey as it is less processed and retains more of it’s natural nutrients including bee pollen which has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Raw and unfiltered honey is as close to straight outta the hive as you can get! You’ll notice that raw and unfiltered honey comes in various colors (some dark, some light) compared to regular honey that look identical to each other. Read more about raw honey vs regular honey here.
I don’t like walnuts. What can I substitute for them?
You can easily swap the walnuts for any other nut such as pecans or almonds. If you don’t eat nuts or have an allergy, you can always add chocolate chips instead!
Easy Plant-Based Banana Bread
- 1 loaf pan
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer (or large bowl)
- 2 cups mashed banana (about 4 bananas)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbsp flax meal + 6 tbsp water let stand for 5-10 min together before adding
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats gluten free
- 1 cup Gluten-free All Purpose Flour I like Pamela's
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Optional (but recommended)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Prepare the flax eggs by mixing the flax and water in a small cup and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of wet ingredients into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Now add the flax eggs after they have had time to gel. Mix all the ingredients together using a whisk or the whisk head of your stand mixer until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet until well combined and you can't see any flour.
- Fold in the walnuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment or greased with coconut oil. Place in the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 1 hour before enjoying and storing.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts! Leave me a comment below.